Humanitarian Relief
At Stilwell & Slatton Immigration, we specialize in human rights law and humanitarian relief. Seeking a consultation for these issues is especially important as many immigrants are unaware that they could potentially qualify for this visa category. Some of our practice areas include: 


Any immigrant may apply for asylum in the United States if he claims to have suffered past persecution or claims to have a fear of future persecution in his home country.  The asylum seeker is then entitled to a full and fair hearing of the asylum claim, where he must establish that he meets the definition of a “refugee." If this claim is adequately established, the immigrant will be afforded permanent immigration status in the United States. This process is done by showing that the asylum seeker has experienced persecution or fears future persecution on account of his race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group. 

In addition to affirmative and defensive asylum applications and interviews, Stilwell & Slatton also offers representation in: 

  • Asylee relative petitions 
  • Asylee/refugee adjustment of statuses 
  • Work authorization for asylees 
  • NACARA settlements 
  • Nunc Pro Tunc adjustments

Temporary Protected Status 

Temporary Protected Status is a special legal status in the United States given to immigrants whose home country conditions “temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately.” This is a humanitarian status, meant to be a short-term solution that attaches only to nationals whose country is facing particularly dire circumstances such as war or environmental catastrophes. 

Immigrant Parole

Humanitarian parole is used sparingly to bring someone who is otherwise inadmissible into the United States for a temporary period of time due to a compelling emergency. There must be an urgent humanitarian reason or significant public benefit for the parole to be granted.

Parole in place is for noncitizen spouses, parents, and unmarried minor children of U.S. citizen members of the U.S.military (current or past) who are in the U.S. after an unlawful entry. PIP allows those who already qualify for a green card based on this close family relationship to “adjust status”—that is, apply for lawful permanent residence or a green card—without leaving the United States, despite their past illegal entry and stay.

Advanced Parole is permission for certain aliens, who do not have a valid immigrant visa, to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Such aliens include those who have applied to adjust their status to that of a permanent resident or to change non-immigrant status.


T-visas are special visas set aside for those who are or have been victims of human trafficking. They protect these victims and allows them to remain in the United States to assist in an investigation or prosecution of human traffickers. In addition to representation in the initial application for this visa, our firm also offer services for T-visa adjustment of statuses. 


U-visas are nonimmigrant visas set aside for victims of crimes (and their immediate family members) who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse and are willing to assist law enforcement and government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity. We also offer services in: 

  • U-visa certifications 
  • U-visa adjustment of statuses 
  • U-1 petitions for family members 


As a battered spouse, child or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The VAWA provisions in the INA allow certain spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens and certain spouses and children of permanent residents (Green Card holders) to file a petition for themselves, without the abuser's knowledge. Our firm offers services in VAWA self-petitions and VAWA adjustment of statuses. 

Special Immigration Juvenile Visas 

SIJ visas are special visas for immigrant children in the United States who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected. We offer SIJ representation in Virginia State Court and SIJS adjustment of statuses.